Sunday, March 20, 2011

"March"ing Onward, Ever Onward

It is Sunday. But Daddy has not been at the church since the wee hours of the morning.

Today he is resting.
The two Sundays before he made enormous breakfasts.
After 5 plus years of looking down on us from the stand, he now sits with some children on his lap and arms around others, his hand in mine.

From the screen I hear the sounds of a rag tag group of little athletes warming up for a pre-season game.  All the baseball equipment we've accumulated over the years is covering the back lawn.  It is cold enough that the "team" is all in jackets and coats (Max in his cowboy boots), but the sound of their voices and laughter is worth keeping the door open and the heat on inside.  I sit trying to read my book about Norwegian Saints --lovely and lyrical.  It has been a long time since I have written. I will do some catch-up.

In an effort to choose better from good, we have encouraged Zach to forgo his Karate lessons for a soccer season.  He is hard at work and reminding me of my brothers with weekly games and practices and details of post game play-by-play descriptions.

Abbie, after another ill-fated experiment with me and hair color, has a complex color-corrected head of hair with highlights (offered free by a well-meaning ward member).  She has been struggling with the topic of WWII and the holocaust in school and is deepening in her understanding of the human condition.

Millie recently performed in her little first grade patriotic program at school.  She was chosen to sing a solo of "This is My Country."  And her eager, repeated practice of the song has planted those lyrics indelibly in our minds.  Her excitement with school and homework has yet to wane; she loves to be busy. She has now been given the time to take a rec. center dance class and is in heaven for that Tues. hour.

Max and Sam and I spend our days together at home. It was a difficult decision --to take up homeschooling with him, but there are moments every day that are rewarding and confirm that it was a guided choice.  We are learning together about ancient Rome and current events in Egypt and Japan. Our geometry skills are vastly improving.  Our morning devotionals have frequently become meaningful conversations about our purpose and God's plan for us as unique individuals.  It seems to bring some peace to his soul.  There are definite challenges and changes in keeping up with household chores, but overall it has been fulfilling for all of us.


Star continues to work in St. George, but his traveling has let up some, and because he had spent so many months away, it feels like a gift of time when he is able to be here with us.  He is diligent and determined--his tenacity provides for our family of mixed ages and interests.

The backyard athletes have moved on to soccer.  I hate to round them up for baths and showers....today.

3 comments:

Anita Wells said...

great report!
what's the book on norwegian saints? that sounds interesting.

Gayle said...

Stef, so good to read your blog again. Good things are going on over there. I'm glad for you. I love those pictures. Papa and I look as mean as those karate guys! I'm wondering about the Norwegian saints book too. Maybe a book report?

morinsqueen said...

It sounds so nice - Sundays with family and reading a good book. Star being home more has to be a big plus. I loved the time we spent together while I was there, though I never get enough time with your family. Another great blog post Stef.