Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In Our 16th Year

I had to smile this morning as Star proudly announced to Abbie, "Did you know I'm in my 16th year of marriage?"

When we first met and began dating, I was 19 years old. Star had big lavish plans to marry a returned sister missionary, but he wasn't sure he wanted to wait for me to own that title. When asked by close friends soon after his proposal, he'd explain that I was in my twenties (after all -- I was in my 20th year).

Our engagement was official: Feb. 1994

Last night he conspired with ward members and family to have a lovely new front door installed while we went to dinner and a movie for our anniversary. The porch lights were on as we pulled into the driveway of this place that has become home. I cried.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I tore a picture out of a magazine and showed Star. "This is my dream door," I said. And then one day when I drove up, I looked over at my Grandview house and there was that door -- on my house! I stopped in the middle of the street and sobbed. It was such a symbol of his effort to show that he valued my ideas. And that I was worth the effort.

When we moved I mourned leaving behind that red door. And now -- he has done it again: hours, years worth of effort --cutting, sanding, measuring, coordinating. And he thought I was worth it.

Nov. 2004

A decade and a half is a long time. We have faced challenges, losses, and joys. But like this wonderful door, my marriage can keep out cold, welcome children and family, let in the changing seasons through it's windows. Over this threshold we will say hello, wave goodbye, and watch our children come and ultimately go. This wood door has been several years in the makings. It was worth it. I am determined to have my covenants be as solid -- they will get me Home.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Very wonderful, Stef. And that door is a beautiful addition to your home! A thoughtful and meaningful post. Love, MOM

Anita Wells said...

Happy 15th anniversary! Can't wait to see the beautiful (and functional) door. Great ideas and symbolism, as always.
love,
Anita

Terry said...

What a lucky lady you are! Such a beautiful post! I know why I love you! Terry

jayne wells said...

pretty great Stef. I was glad to see it put in. Good on ya, Star. I sure like you two.