Monday, August 31, 2009

Secrets of Some Natives


Happy Days
I have known Star for many years now. I have found him to be ever industrious, ambitious, and willing to take a risk. After 9/11/01, when the start-up company he'd been with wilted like so many others at that time, he began a new full time career: job-seeking.

He had full faith when I wavered. He was optimistic when I was not. And eventually, he was offered a job in Loa, Utah. Now I am a native Utahn. My father was raised in Utah, my mother was raised in Utah, but we were not familiar with such a place.

Loa is a town in and the county seat of Wayne County, Utah, along State Route 24. The population is 525. Star became a commuter and a wilderness therapist. He would leave around 4am Monday mornings, and return 9pm or so Friday nights. Zach was in Kindergarten, Abbie was in Joy school, Sam was just over 6 months, and Louisa was on her way.

We lived like this until mid June when we loaded up a U-haul and two green vans to take up residence together in the old Leavitt house off of Main St. It was a wonderful season for us. As renters we had no weekend or evening responsibilities. Since the only grocery store in the county closed at 8pm and offered little, we found we had fewer needs. And since there was no cell phone coverage at that altitude, we had a Dad without distraction.

We sat on the front porch in the evenings and listened to our resident owl friends call to one another. We played store and school, we slid on blankets down the steep staircase, we read stories and played at the Fremont park.

The tree swing

Sam in his new Fish Lake b-day shirt

Millie takes a turn

These legs sure have gotten longer since he first spent time on this swing

When a promising job option became available up north, I tried everything I could to figure and re figure the budget to match the math. We knew we needed to return to our Grandview home that hadn't rented or sold yet. Within days of bringing the U-haul back to Provo, we were told of Louisa's fatal condition, and a whole new challenge surfaced for me.

Our time in Wayne county turned out to be the eye of the storm. We have returned almost every year since. And so even though it may not seem an exciting get-away for some, it has always served as an amazing reprieve for me. I breathe deeper there.

This year's edition:

The new park rangers

Their friendly replacements

So much time spent on the road just wears a fella out

An action shot of an athlete

Millie caught on quickly to the Frisbee concept

Master of the pioneer toys

Popeye?


Sisters

Brothers

Well --what would you do?

With the on-call Sheriff (he gets parked in a different town each day or so)

At the historic Fish Lake Lodge

Are you looking for peace?

Abbie reading in the window seat
Visit Wayne county, just sit and enjoy the breeze and watch the constant sprinklers at work on the acres of farmland. Go for a hike in Capitol Reef and study the petro-glyphs. Call Ted Winder and adopt him as your grandpa for a bit.

Ted Winder

Have a pastry at the Chuck Wagon Hotel in Torrey. Spend a Sunday meeting in the old Loa chapel with it's grand doors, red roof and tall open windows. Take a turn on the tree swing in the large maple guarding the Leavitt home. Breathe deep. These are secrets only a Utah native (who once called Wayne county home) can tell you.


Pictures of past and present

4 comments:

Anita Wells said...

I'm so grateful for that Fish Lake trip of 2006 (? has it been that long?) so that I know exactly what you're talking about. Funny how a few months can be so transformational-- I'm glad you have wonderful memories there.

Gayle said...

What a nice write-up of past and present experiences with beautiful pictures to emphasize the beauty of it all. Another reminder of how time is racing but how much we enjoy it while we are going along. MOM

jayne wells said...

Oh, I'm a week late, I'm so sorry. My blog surfing has cut down significantly lately. But what a lovely post to come back for. Isn't is amazing how our lives go in different directions and lead us to different places and we don't always know why? Even though that was such a short lived "home", I think it will always feel like home to you. Thanks Stef.

Kayelynn said...

Hi Stephanie! Cute blog! I got your link from Carin's. It's fun to see pictures of your cute kids!

I didn't know you all lived in Loa for a while. That farmhouse is the same one I visited several times as a kid! My Uncle Dane is a Leavitt (married my mom's sister) and I remember that red-brick house with fond memories. I miss that place. I almost cried when I saw your kids on the swing.

We slid down those stairs on our tummies and danced to Neil Diamond while my mom and Aunt Ruth canned smoked salmon from the old fish hatchery in Loa. We always had to stop at the cheese factory and I bought my very own fingernail clippers at that little town store. Small world, huh?