Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To Do List

Ever since Daylight Savings began we've struggled to get back on top of our morning schedule around here. If I'm looking for excuses, I think Abbie's MDT rehearsals by 7am, and the work for her huge county report have added to the problem. But no matter what time we get up Sam seems to have an entirely different list of essential AM to-dos.

I've taken it upon myself to frequently empty his room of any books after he's finally fallen asleep --because if his path crosses with a book (or magazine, newspaper, or recipe, etc.) he's off track. It's tricky to know exactly what will distract him. Even when I try to anticipate the likely candidates, he finds something else. This morning, for example, he asked if he could help make his lunch. I praised him and talked him through some options. He was very busy for a few minutes --up on stools by various cupboards, climbing shelves in the pantry. Then he asked for help to locate the apple-corer-thingy from Aunt Nan. He worked with that tool for several minutes while I offered to help. As soon as we'd freed the fruit of it's core he disappeared. I was distracted with my teen and tween until I realized it'd been too long since I'd seen Sam. I went looking for him. I found him on the front lawn, with a shovel, making a determined effort to dig a hole big enough to plant his new-found seeds.

I did not anticipate this early-morning imitation of John Chapman. But it did make me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_IrdS-zu48

3 comments:

jayne wells said...

Let's blame all the distraction on daylight savings!
I love that he was planting his seeds--I know Hazel would do the same thing!

Carin said...

Yes, Sam is a man with many missions. His utter devotion to each mission is what makes him so darn cute...difficult sometimes...but definitely cute!

morinsqueen said...

What a great story. I have this mental picture of Sam with a determined expression on his face. I wish you had a photo. Sam is a pretty interesting and I guess, challenging little boy, not unlike his father at that age. :-)