Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Welcome, Welcome Sabbath Morning

When a family gives up their Daddy to Church meetings for years, Sundays begin to take on a different feel. New traditions are created and some old ones fade away.

Here are some quotes from last Sunday morning:

Zach, from the top of the stairs: "Mom, what should I do about this big hole in my pants?"
Mom: "Just wear your new suit."
Z: "These are my new suit pants, but I lost my suit coat --I've looked everywhere."
M: "How in the world did you get a hole that size?"
Z: "Maybe when I was trying to do the splits at the stake dance."
M: "You did the splits in your new suit pants? That'd probably do it."
He smiles.

Screaming is overheard from the children's bathroom. Abbie comes to the top of the stairs. She is draped in at least five towels (one for her turban, a shawl for her shoulders, one for a strapless top, one for a dashing skirt...)
Abbie: "Mom, can we have a family council today about the difference between being rude and stupid, or just being plain insensitive?"

Five-year old Millie is singing to herself in front of the mirror in my bathroom. She's combing her hair.
M: "Mom, do you have any cover-up?"
Mom: "Did you just ask for cover-up?"
M: "Sam accidentally hit my cheek, and I don't want that red mark there."
Mom: "I think you'll be okay without cover-up. You're such a pretty girl."
She returns a loving gaze to the mirror and twirls for a minute.
M: "Don't you think I look just like a teenager?"

Sam comes into my room to sit by the heater and read. I notice that he has put clothes on without being hounded. I'm ready to turn on the praise.
Mom: "Hey Sam, I'm proud of you for getting ready. Let me see you."
He stands up. He smiles broadly and then casts a spell on me from the Harry Potter books he's been devouring.
Mom: "Sam, I think that might be Zach's suit coat from when he was a deacon. Can you find your blazer? Also, those are great school pants, but not our best for church."
Sam begins to melt into the ground. His face becomes contorted.
Sam:"Mo-o-om, this is the only jacket that has an inside pocket for my wand!"
(Oh boy -- I know where this one's going to go --should I pick the battle? I must)

Schuyler comes running in --full speed. In just 10 minutes church will start.
Mom:" Did anyone find the baby's boots? Can someone please grab the baby bag and make sure there's a diaper in there?"
Max-o: "Go bye-bye? Coat. Woof-woof. Car."
Mom:"Come here, buddy. Let's get your hair combed."
He goes running towards the playroom--full speed. Laughing.

The organ has just stopped as we walk in the door. I hear my husband's calm voice from the pulpit as we hang our coats. Having taken his post as greeter a quarter of an hour earlier, Zach smiles as he hands us a program. He looks nice in his new white shirt, BYU tie, and tan school pants.

I take my toddler by the hand and walk toward our family's pew (on the other side of the room). Abbie has his other little hand, Millie's carrying her special bag with coloring supplies. Her posture shows she enjoys making an entrance. We are getting seated just as Sam comes running in --full speed. He is in navy pants, well-worn at the knee. And although his black blazer is rolled multiple times at the sleeve, it slips off the shoulder. He has "fixed" the job I did on his hair. I look up at the Bishop with a broad smile and a bit of a sigh. Another Sabbath morning down.

I'm feeling pretty pleased until Max takes the tennis ball he's been carrying and chucks it into the center aisle.

6 comments:

Anita Wells said...

Great story, Stef. Love the inside wand pocket issue. (In related efforts, Nathaniel smuggled some toy frogs to church last week which the Primary president used in her Sacrament Meeting talk, holding them up as an example of distracting things our kids shouldn't bring with us to church.)

Carin said...

...on the seventh day they rested, right?! What a busy, happy household you run. I can see it all, and although I don't "wanna trade" right now, you're a lucky mom to have such great kids. Hug 'em for me, would ya.

Susie Faye said...

ah..i love it when you do the dialogue! it's so much fun! you are so great at describing things like i'm really there.

jayne wells said...

I'm exhausted just reading that. You're the best.

Terry said...

How lucky for me... to live by you! I feel so blessed to have you for our neighbors! I watched you walk into church Sunday and I just smiled...you so remind me of me (us) Those days will be over way too soon... and you will miss them. Just be sure to enjoy every single trauma, mess and experience! Your kids are so precious and growing so fast! Sorry I missed your birthday! You are a beautiful 36... Just wait til it's 59...yuk! Love you all so much!

morinsqueen said...

I laughed myself silly reading this. You express the everyday events of family life so well. I'm so glad you have a sense of humor. Love the ball into the aisle. :-)