Thursday, March 26, 2009

What Fools These Mortals Be


Abbie is not pleased to have completed her 5th grade play.

Queen Titania and the little changeling boy (the doll Millie has named "baby Jesus")
She is in her element while performing. She wishes the practices (held during school sometimes even during math) could have gone on forever. Her recent portrayal of Titania (the Fairy Queen) in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was lovely. She had good diction and elocution. She showed leadership over the wandering fairies, and had a believable affinity for the foam-constructed-donkey-headed boy.

"Me thought I was enamored of an...."
I'm afraid the magic of the theater is in this girl of mine. She has been mourning since the show ended. When I was in 5th grade, we also performed this Shakespearean play, and I was fair Helena. Abbie and I had a good time memorizing her lines together.

I had been asked to help backstage --manage props, help get the fairies on when it was their turn...but those girls had their scene changes and everyone else's down cold. It was quickly apparent that the last thing they needed was yet another female manager. So I came back out and sat with my ever drooling friend, SkyMax. We enjoyed the show, as did Sam. He surprised me and our neighbors by his loud and intermittent guffaws.

Always a good problem solver, Abbie brought a pillow to lay on while awaiting her next cue. What's more important than comfort?
Thanks to Grandma, Susie, Gracee, Dad, Sam, Millie, Max, and Zach for their support.

With Miss Cottrell (Abbie's 1st grade teacher)--come all the way from Aspen Elementary.
Ahh --Viva la Theater'!

6 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh, my heart is aching that I missed that. She looks so wonderful and my memories are so fresh of you and your stage performances. How I loved those times. I'm happy for Abbie. Please tell her how much I would have loved to be there to see her. Any videos made? I love you all. MOM

Anita Wells said...

How wonderful! Maybe she can share a speech with all of us. Eliza's doing her Shakespeare thing at History fair today so we're in that mode too. Tell Abbie congratulations!

Anita Wells said...

Way to go Abbie! I wish I could have seen it. Any tips for how to direct a play-I am the director of our class's 6th grade play. Good job!!
-Eliza

Jayne said...

Great work Abbie. You look so pretty as Tatania! It would be fun to see you work with uncle Jed as Bottom! You have come to the right family I think!

Eliza, super that you're directing!

Susie Faye said...

i'm so glad we got to come! thanks for telling us about it abs! you really were fabulous! I"m so excited to see more!

J Wells said...

i did bottom twice, in fact, and i know just how challenging the role of titania can be. i'm sure abbie blew the tights off the fairy queens i worked with (no offense, kalani and whoever the other one was).