Thursday, March 5, 2009

I've Had a Birthday --Shout Hooray!


In my ears are tiny white ear buds --very different from the sponge covered blue earphones that came with the walk man I received 20 years ago. It was so exciting to have portable music when I was 15. I had big plans to go running with FM100 blaring irreverently in my teenage ears. The thing proved so heavy however that I dared not jog very far without keeping my hand on my new-fangled device. It pulled my pockets so low, I feared losing my Waterford blue sweat pants.

I met Jed and Jayne for my birthday lunch. With great anticipation I handed over my tiny package that held future dreams of orchestras, podcasts and audio books. By today at 3pm Jed had it fully loaded. We met like spies in the Orem Library parking lot for the return exchange. This evening, after Visiting Teaching and piano student shuttling, I finally got the chance to handle my new toy. Amazing. As I made incredibly delicious grilled cheese sandwiches (Star is at bishopric meetings) I kept one "bud" in my ear (just like my cool Jaynie). And then as I wandered into the family room and mud room to tidy up, I allowed myself the full surround sound experience. I think I heard myself audibly sigh --several times --Ahhh--contentment captured.

Plus I even get to listen to General Conference and "This American Life."
What rapture!
This may just be what the doctor ordered.
Sanity -- here I come.

4 comments:

Susie Faye said...

Stef! I smiled so big when I read this! If anyone deserves this you do! You are such a serving, loving lil worker bee! I'm so happy for you and so so so glad you had a good berfday! we'll see you next week for some girlie pampering because AGAIN you deserve it, sissy. i love you

Carin said...

Isn't it delightful? So glad you're enjoying a special Birthday gift. It will prove very rewarding...a tiny little friend when you need it most.

jayne wells said...

Yeah, yeah!

Thanks for thinking I'm cool with my one ear bud. More than likely I just forgot it was in my ear.

J Wells said...

i think we'd have peace on earth sooner if everyone had an ipod with their own personal soundtrack and a few episodes of T.A.L. to carry them along.