Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Independence Day


Freedom and Family
Every year I wonder why we think getting up at the break of dawn, gathering sleepy children, and racing to Provo for the Balloon Festival is fun? But every year, once I'm there, and surrounded by the color and community, I'm always glad I made the effort. We had a date with Miek, Jed, and their families. Jed's group was too sleepy and didn't show. Were you aware that those people's children will sleep until 9AM or later if you let them? (I've never had such luck with mine).
The Hiatts and Halls
We arrived in time to see most of the balloons fill and drift up to the sky. It's somehow cozy to be hemmed in all sides with enormous balloon-fences as dividers.

Millie and Aggie --fast friends
As they begin to rise, I feel un-sheltered, too close to strangers, and ready to leave.

Who is that "big galooky?"

Proof that Dr. Clegg knows what he's doing as a surgeon
After a scrumptious Kneaders breakfast, and mid-morning naps, we met Russ, Susie, and Gracee for a swim at the Scera. All of Utah county met us there.

Doesn't that baby look thrilled? He's not a swimming fan yet.

Still having doubts --
We had a nice time, but Schuyler's favorite part was playing on the picnic blanket in the shade.

Ahhh --now crackers, crawling, and shade is more like it.
Also -- I would like to make the profound observation that most of Utah county look better fully clothed. There. I said it (it has needed to be said).

Sam the Fish
Shaved ice followed and a date with just the Hannig adults to dinner and the Provo Arts Festival downtown. Lovely, and scent-filled.

The next morning we headed to the parade. It was not our most successful parade venture.

How much longer will this go on?
In trying to become more like Jed's family, we slept in and tried to catch the end of the parade route. Instead, we pretty much caught the END period.

Starting to show our true colors
That much trying to park, that much walking, and that much sweating was not worth it.

Finally! --all Mills wanted to do was play with her toys (no interest in the parade at all)

S&S

Gracee the enthusiast, and her Dad
Matt and Anita's group joined us for a lazy afternoon in Lindon, and then we set off for the neighborhood potluck/firework celebration.
Our last fitful stop was to the Hannig homestead for homemade root beer and firework finale.

Nails by McKenzie (the world's best sitter)
What a weekend!

7 comments:

Gayle said...

I feel warmer and happier just looking at these pictures. Next Year I'll be there with you. MOM

morinsqueen said...

I'm sorry I missed all that fun! It looks like a blast and I sure enjoyed the pictures.

Russ said...

ah that was so fun! I LOVED seeing you guys that much in one 2 day period!! I never bore of your company. thanks so much for that date night. i felt so special to have 'one on one' time with you two!

Russ said...

hey that comment was from me, susie! russ is always logged into this thing, lil stinker...

Terry said...

6 AM and race to get a spot... family tradition you know... Jenny told me they probably wouldn't even come if I didn't go save the place(i was begging for someone else to go and save it-I am old you know...) They all came and watched ... the general concensus was that it was a very boring parade! Come over to Strawberry Day's...it is such a fun parade and not to hard to find a spot! Even in the rain it beat Provo hands down! I just have to keep telling myself...it's "Tradition"!

Anita Wells said...

most of SL county looks better clothed, too.
glad we made the day! it was good to see you guys.

jayne wells said...

Jed's kids are on a terrible schedule--especially when cousins join for a sleepover the night before and don't go to sleep till 11. So Jed's kids have to miss the balloons until Jed's kids can start getting to bed earlier. (and can't they move those balloons till 8:00? Sheesh! Too many morning people around here.