Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Bit of Rambling from a Sleepless Mom

"We are doing all we can, Father in Heaven, to reach to heaven," Elder Holland said during the dedicatory prayer. "We ask Thee with great affection, loyalty and love that Thou would bring heaven down to us. We ask that Thou would receive us here, as we stand tip-toe to enter Thy presence, feel Thy Spirit and build Thy kingdom."

Spoken to the Saints in Rwanda, Elder Holland's comments were stirring. Ever since I read them in the Sept. 5th edition of the Church News, I have thought about his trip and the language he used. And now, after hearing his conference message on the Book of Mormon, and having recently studied and taught his April message, I believe this apostle was given the "gift of tongues." But rather than praise this St. George boy, I feel a need to praise his maker; Heavenly Father's love and awareness are more apparent because of this man's ability to speak to a variety of people, in their own love language.

After a long afternoon of piano, karate, dinner, grocery shopping, homework pleadings, and neighbor-children-keeping, I came across this obituary in the Deseret News (lest you think I sat down to read it, (or had any such leisurely moment), I was picking the paper up off the stove where my oldest had discarded it after devouring that day's Sports Section). I feel a kind of silly- almost moral--obligation to read the obituaries as often as I can,--to be mindful of families who are struggling. I'm always a bit more uncomfortable when I come across a person whose birth year is anywhere near my parents'.

James Richard McGhie Pearce
James Richard McGhie Pearce 1940 ~ 2009 James Richard McGhie Pearce died peacefully at home after meeting the challenges of ALS with optimism and faith.He was born May 2, 1940 to Richard Obra and Mary Isabella McGhie Pearce in Salt Lake City. During elementary school and part of junior high, he attended Stewart School on the U of U campus, graduating from East High School and the University of Utah, where he was affiliated with Sigma Chi fraternity. He married Virginia Hinckley September 10, 1965 in the Salt Lake Temple. They enjoyed, cared for, and loved each other immensely. Virginia and their family are grateful for thousands and thousands of priceless memories with Jim. (see more at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary)


As I skimmed through the article, I realized that this was President Hinckley's Son-In-Law. Brother Pearce is married to Virgina, the same Virginia who I watched give talks, and listened to on tape. I have also read many of Virginia's books and talks. She somehow speaks my language. And thank goodness. I have learned more about becoming more because I have read what she has written.

And so, on this cold, windy Autumn morning, I sit to gather my oldest children into the family room and around the fireplace. We will begin another day with sleepy scripture study --grateful for our warm home, indebted to the Believers who have sought their God, and written down His answers.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Lovely thoughts, Stef. Thank you for posting the notice of Brother Pearce's passing also. I love to read your ponderings. MOM

jayne wells said...

Nicely put Stef, as always.

morinsqueen said...

I enjoyed reading this as much as ever. Thanks for taking the time for this. I am always touched by your thoughts and wit.