Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rational Repile Expert


Sam feels pretty confident that he's the Hall with the most knowledge about reptiles, dinosaurs, and strange phenomenon. These topics take hold of his able mind, and interfere with many of his thoughts. It shows up in his spelling sentances, pretend play, and on all car rides longer than 2 minutes.

In the middle of our homework session after school yesterday, he looked up from his math and said the following:
"People think that elephants could be the answer to the mystery of the Loch Ness Monster. Some books talk about it, but I think there are four reasons why 'Nessie' would not be an elephant.
1. Elephants weigh over 100 lbs.
2. Elephants DO NOT live in England.
3. The Loch is over 700 ft. deep and if anything weighs over 100 lbs. it could not swim in that water.
4. Elephants are not as big as the Loch Ness Monster is."

Now--I had already requested several times for him to focus. But this was just such a well organized argument, that I asked if I could write it down and asked him to repeat his reasoning. He smiled and said, "sure Mom. I love that you believe what I believe in."
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anita Wells said...

but of course! ask him why a gorilla isn't bigfoot next...

wingling said...

He is dang smart, I agree, but I think perhaps some scientific fact-checking might be in order. Our budding professor is on shaky ground with this weight argument.;)

Carin said...

I love that face!
Is this the stage where the answer to every question is, "I know"? If so, you're in for a treat...obviously he's got things figured out.

The Metge Family said...

That is superb-- both his thinking and that you took time to listen and write it down. Thanks for sharing.

jayne wells said...

that last sentence is amazing.

morinsqueen said...

What a delightful boy he is! Thanks Stef. I just love your blog.