Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Try to Remember the Kind of September..."


Have you ever seen the old LDS film about the Last Leaf? My fuzzy recollection is of an elderly invalid who watches as the autumn comes and goes. She believes that she will die when the final leaf falls from the vine outside her bedroom window.

The master bath features a large window that looks out on a distant row of tall cottonwood trees. I felt much like the woman in the film this Fall --worried that as the colors changed, and the winds began to blow --that one day I would open my shutters and see that the last leaves had released their tenuous hold. I stewed and worried. I dreaded winter's return. Cold grey days can be hard on my system. My Anticipation Syndrome set in full force.

We were blessed with a lovely autumn, and every day I committed to recognize that the leaves were changing, but that I didn't have to. And then one day, when I almost lost Sam, Jaynie showed up and sent me on a drive. I turned on Jed's new Pilot CD (all humble folk hymns) and drove toward the lake. I discovered the old Vineyard city park. I put Eric Whitacre's choral symphony in my ears and began walking. By the time I had circled the park several times, I knew --no matter the season, no matter my personal season, Heavenly Father loved me and could speak to my heart in a way that would grant me the tenacity I needed --to hold on.

And as Nephi, I wanted to share it. That Sunday as the good bishop was busy "well-doing", I took the children back to that park. It was cold, but the colors were glorious.

"Hey Mom, we could have as many pumpkins as we wanted.."


Enjoying a little snack

Schuyler tries his new walking skills

Mom turns the guidance job over to Abbie so she can get more photos

...something looks different...


A close-up

Whoops --someone's had enough...

Is that a look of desolation or what?

Maybe Mom has an important role after all

4 comments:

Susie Faye said...

i remember you telling me about that park and that day. how fun. thanks for sharing these moments. sam looks like zach in that pic where they eating snacks!

jayne wells said...

I'm glad you posted these pictures. You are the one for those kids Steffie.

Carin said...

Yes, there's something magical about a colorful fall day. I can't help but thing that's Grandpa Bunny Bunny who's created a special gift for someone he loves very much.

morinsqueen said...

What a great memory you created for your children, taking them to the park that you went to and found peace. Your blog stories are priceless!