Monday, December 15, 2008

The Power of Suggestion

It's surprising to realize how easily I am persuaded by things I read or hear. I try to maintain objectivity, but I find myself swayed...

Like at Big Lots, there are signs all over that say, "Get it before it's gone." I start feeling some pressure to make decisions quickly, and threatened if another shopper comes down my aisle.

Signs like "Simplify" always make me feel overwhelmed -- simplify?! I'd like to ...where should I start?

Last night our home teachers brought over a cute little brown and pink box. It was filled with Almond English Toffee, hand-made by some Wendy Sue in Lindon. Inside and outside was her little jingle: "It's not meant to be shared." Oh no! You might guess that I suddenly took on a very stingy and protective attitude about that candy. Logically I know that I don't really want all of those delicious, crunchy, chocolate-covered morsels -- but that power of suggestion....


I cannot be held completely responsible for my actions. (I might feel a need however, to remove the batteries from my bathroom scale for a while)

8 comments:

Greg Wells said...

Dude. You have a battery powered scale?

Terry said...

Wendy Sue makes the BEST English toffee around... I would definately NOT share it. Give them some tootsie rolls instead! Their taste buds are not developed enough to enjoy that... Star? Well maybe a piece or two... Hugs!

J Wells said...

you owe me $300.

J Wells said...

Yes. I remember you do owe Jed. And you LOVE organizing my house. Love it.

Anonymous said...

dang, that was meant to be Jayne. Not nearly as funny when dosoyevetysldktjslkfdj shows up on screen twice.

Stefanie said...

Jayne --it was still funny.

Anita Wells said...

Nathaniel must have inherited that from you :-) He is so into all the marketing. He ponders all the cereal box claims--"Kix really is kid-tested and mother-approved!" and is a challenge at the grocery store: "Smart water! We need smart water, Mom, because I'm smart!" "You should have a Cutie tangerine, Lydia, because you're a cutie!" It does concern me a little... because we're not free from it either. Keep enjoying the holiday goodies for a couple more weeks before the resolutions kick in!

morinsqueen said...

This was a really cute blog, echoing feelings I have had for years. Good one.