Monday, December 8, 2008

A Tween No Longer


Zach at 1 year old --Dec. 1996

My first born son, Zachary, graduated from "childhood" today. It is strange for me. Just as I knew his baptism marked the beginning of something different, and twelve was big, this "teen" stuff starts to make me feel like time is really in a hurry.

Zach has been, of course, very excited about this birthday. His friends decorated the chalkboard, his mom brought treats, and his teacher announced she was throwing a "Zach's Birthday Party Bash" on Friday afternoon at Liberty Land for the class.
He came home sounding like a teenager. He came home looking like a teenager.
....But lucky for me, he doesn't act a whole lot like one yet. When I went to school to drop off the treats, he jumped out of his seat, ran up and gave me a big hug. He said, "Wow Mom. Thanks so much. I sure love you." (All of this in front of the class)

Zach (4) and his Mom --Dec. 1999

He seemed genuinely pleased about his birthday dinner at Mimi's and the gifts that had a sporty theme. I was genuinely pleased that he was so grateful -- I mean the gifts weren't really big or flashy.

As I tucked him in, he said, "Thanks again for the great day, Mom. It's funny how when you don't get very much, you just feel kind of humble."
No response.
Then my expression must have begun to change because he quickly said, "I mean the presents are just right, and I think they just end up meaning more when there are so few, don't you?"

Ah-- the ever-struggling-back-pedaling-diplomat--Zackie-boy.

Zach at 13! --Dec. 2008 (wearing his new jacket)--Can you see the teen in him?

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

My beautiful little boy is now a handsome young man...

And his mom just keeps getting more beautiful with each passing year.

What a lucky man am I.

wingling said...

My beautiful little boy is now a handsome young man...

And his mom just keeps getting more beautiful with each passing year.

What a lucky man am I.

J Wells said...

cute how stef and wingling have the exact same thoughts. they say that about couples that have been married for so long.

Anita Wells said...

ah zach--pave the way for your cousins to transition so well too :-) where has the time gone? from one family gathering to the next the changes are minimal--who's taller, new haircut--but thus the years slip by.