Tuesday, December 2, 2008

We Gather Together

What happens when cousins with suitcases and dress-ups, Uncles with turkey tips and doorknob tricks, Aunts with killer salads and green bean casseroles, Grandmas with amazing pies, a football, and a chilly wind ---convene on the 4th Thursday of November?

A memorable Thanksgiving Holiday Week.

And before the world and all the Halls move on to the next big occasion (the no-Christmas music ban has been lifted now that Dec. has come)...just a loving glance back to the magic of family:

Miek arrived early Wed., brought out my boxes of untouched fall decor, and set a beautiful table. Henry and Aggie ran to and from the playroom showcasing a variety of "dress-ups by Abbie", and Sam and Millie were delighted. Miek stayed and fed all the little people lunch while supervising playdoh creations. And I played taxi driver for Zach and classmates to a party.

Jed and Jayne stopped in to announce plans for an outing, but when our Thanksgiving bird was noticed just sitting on the counter---I was given detailed instruction on "the proper care and basting of a turkey." (And thank goodness since it turned out most delicious). Aggie slept, everyone snacked, and I felt loved.

Carrie, Eric, and crew arrived safely by midnight, and I was reminded of our late night arrivals in St. George all those many Thanksgivings of my childhood. The excitement and anticipation was palpable. The linen closet was emptied and make-shift, happy resting spots were made for all.

Pre-dawn Thursday brought Star and I down to massage and rub the bird with seasonings Jed had left for me. In my uncertainty, I placed a phone call to the sleepy chef, but he was very good-natured about the whole thing. By 10am the "handy men" (Star and Eric) were scheming about household fix-ups to be conquered, and the children were entertaining themselves in the land of make-believe.

By 1pm the magnificent meat was being carved, the table was laden with more food than we would be able to eat. The children's table was set up by the piano, and on top of as many plastic coverings as I could find. Conversation turned to Pumpkin Man and Iron Man races, as well as traditions past. The women were then dismissed and the men did a wonderful job of cleaning up and taking down.

The evening began with a table FULL of pies. The men and most of the children headed across the street to the park for some football, and then we played games, watched a movie, laughed, and snacked.

As we gathered in a circle and knelt in family prayer, each of us voiced some things we were grateful for. It's interesting how words can't really do what they ought to for strong emotions. I am most filled by recognizing my titles and what they mean: I am a Wife, Mother, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. Truly blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I've been missing your posts. Starting to feel guilty--like I'd scared you about blogging. This was a great one to come back to!

J Wells said...

hurray, stef is back.

Stefanie said...

Thanks you guys. Nah--I'm not scared. Just technically challenged. But I have conquered yet again!

Greg Wells said...

Lovely. Just right.