Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's About....Time

Most everything is...about time.

Finding the one and only --takes time. Establishing a career --takes experience, which takes time. Trusting my instincts as a parent, deciphering personal thoughts versus promptings takes time. Friendships, built after first impressions have been replaced by time --are always different. Without exception, when I have discovered more about someone else's story, I find that my opinion changes. Usually, though, the change is more drastic as their story has been affected by time --and mine has too.


Miek's Dixie graduation 2000

Today I was reading some about my brother's fame as an actor in high school and college. Last week I was listening to music that used to play at our house as we were going through the Wells teenage years. The week before I was talking to my sister who lives in Las Vegas, and I remembered praying as a child, that we'd have the chance to be good friends as women. Monday I was asked to visit the daughter of a woman I know. She has recently suffered 3 miscarriages. And while my story has had some similar chapters as hers, time has worked it's magic and I have some hind-sight. Only time can do that. And it will take time.


For Paul --"Fire Creek"

While I am grateful for, and understand the necessity of time passing --when I open my blog and see the last photos I posted--of my very tall and grown-up looking son...I feel a bit melancholy. Since (and probably before) my London days, I have tried to appreciate every day. (In Hyde park there was a statue of Peter Pan and Big Ben with the quote: "Time Flies." I determined to not wish the time away.)

So I do not wish it away, but it marches on...regardless. It wasn't that long ago that we Wellses were up early, wrapped in blankets on the heater, waiting for scripture study. The music of James Taylor, The Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Thompson Twins, Alison Kraus, competed for coverage on the family room stereo (along with Dad's Deep Breakfast). Mom was busy with school projects, term paper edits, dance competitions, karate advancements, and Jed's plays.
But it is getting further and further away. My siblings are all married, their young features cropping up on the Wells cousins that resemble them. And we talk on the phone between interruptions from needy and inquisitive children --after all--those Wellses are the parents now --their chapters currently full of adventures in dance, karate, and piano lessons, laundry and employment decisions, job chart and scripture study attempts.

And so it goes...I am grateful for the characters in my book. They are people I'd want to spend a lifetime with.

Christmas caroling 2007

6 comments:

Britt said...

i've been blog-stalking you for awhile now...just wanted to let you know i LOVE your posts :) you're awesome!

Unknown said...

beautifully done stef. what a good group to spend time with, i feel so fortunate.thank you for posting again. -scott, no not really it's mieka!

J Wells said...

one rule that went with owning any zeppelin was that i couldn't play it on the stereo upstairs.

but one of the sweet things, with this passage of time, is being able to introduce these good things to the little ones. how great is it to be there when your kids discover the beatles? to see it sink in that they've got a lifetime ahead of them to listen to it all. another reward for suffering through your own adolescence.

Greg Wells said...

You know, I've never considered time to be one of my friends. We're always at odds, and pretty much I've done my best to pretend it didn't matter.

But reading your post reminds me that as time becomes more and more fleeting, I find I am more and more grateful for it. For the time I have with my wife; my kids. For the time I had with my siblings; my parents; my grandma. Time is a huge blessing. I need to respect it more. Maybe then I wouldn't get caught without it so frequently.

jayne wells said...

good to read tonight as I listen to my children--still awake at 10 pm--downstairs and want to cry because of the mess they left me upstairs.
I will miss this time one day right?

Elder Salter said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts and pictures. Life is good -the past -fun with cousins, the present -our growing up kids, and what may come -hopefully too will be good. Have a great day!