Friday, February 6, 2009

The Piano {Person}


With current emphasis on being politically correct, I will comply by altering the name of the title of the Billy Joel song (I'm sure there is probably something illegal about doing that too).

When my older children were younger children, Dixie Archibald sold us her old family piano. I used to sit at it and sight read my old lesson books after all the Halls were in bed. There were fewer of us then (and they used to go to bed when I put them there). That old piano has been through a couple of moves now, the bench has received a new cover, the paint is chipped, and the keys are a bit sticky. It is badly in need of a good tuner, but I love the off-key music that comes from its strings. It means that my children will have similar opportunities to mine. As they practice and plunk their way through Bastien, Beethoven, and Brahms, their ears will hopefully hear the majesty in music itself.

I came across this series of photos capturing Abbie's hands (with her Hawaiian ring) --my budding photographer, Zach, at work again.
Now motivating them to practice....(and getting Zach to play something other than variations on the I Love The Mountains theme...)

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Stef, Zack, Abbie, please see Grandma's blog about pianos and keeping at it! What beautiful hands. They remind me very much of Abbie's mother's hands. Everyone should have a piano!!!

Gayle said...

Please note, it is not 11:52 pm here. My computer clock is way off. It is actually Saturday morning 9:54 am. I wrote this while you were sleeping!

morinsqueen said...

Nice post. It makes me fell a bit melancholy.

Stefanie said...

thx. both of you grandmas that I love so much!
---abs

J Wells said...

dig those pics.