Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Best Laid Plan...

...Is not what Miek is about. It's not even what most of the Wellses are about (until in-laws became Wellses).

One time Mieka decided she'd roller blade in the canyon, on a mountain trail. Pouring hydrogen peroxide on her gravel-embedded legs afterward was pretty traumatic (for her and me (and I was just there for moral support --Mom did all the work).

Another time Miek suggested we go to the Zoo for her July birthday. She was 8+ months pregnant with Henry. I tried to suggest that walking around all day in the heat with her propensity for dehydration might not be a great idea. She was sure it was. Later when she was exhausted to tears, we all made a pact not to say "I told you so" (we don't say things like that as Welles).

This Sunday she rallied for a forage to Silver Lake. I asked, "where is Silver Lake?" She was enthusiastic and certain in her response,"It's about ten minutes from my house to the canyon, and then about 8-10 minutes to the lake. It's so beautiful, Stef." Having past experience with Mieka and her estimations, I double-checked, "So.. is this a really fit runner's idea of a little walk around a lake, or..." She starts laughing, "No --I'm serious. It's just a boardwalk and the wheelchair will be fine. It's so pretty Stef."
"Are you providing the snacks?" (because as everyone knows families with children eat their way through outings (or cry)).
She promised she would. So I promised I would...load my crew in the Yukon (minus Star on a business trip) and we'd meet them at an exit off of I-215.

Now you may not be aware of my lack-of- free-way-driving confidence. It is real. We made it to them (with a few U-turns) and headed up the canyon. It really was lovely. We climbed, shifted, climbed, popped our ears, and climbed some more. It was lovely alright, but we started seeing snow on the ground..hmmm.

Finally (definitely not 8 or even 10 mins. later) we arrived at Silver Swamp. But it smelled like Soap Stone in the Fall, where Uncle Rulon's cabin had been...and Matt and I were invigorated by it (it might also have been the brisk evening air (Anita's lips were beginning to match her purple shirt)).

Luckily Aunt Mieka had thought to bring extra sweatshirts and a blanket.

The current red-heads
The children hugged one another, played spies, ran back and forth on the portion of the boardwalk above water, and screamed a lot.

The teen-agers compared the size of their feet, the parents compared stories, and Madel and Abbie took turns in the wheel chair.

Then Henry took a quick dive, Lyddie tripped and scraped her knees, and my girls realized the advice I'd offered about using the bathroom before leaving home was sound. Following my counsel is not always what my girls are about... Both Scott and I instructed Abbie (who is determined to have privacy) about the process she'd want to take in order to preserve her clothing. She was not happy with the results of her own process, and returned feeling a little chilly and frustrated (Scott saw the humor in it however)
Then a very bouncy Millie said she needed to go. I took her by the hand and walked into the trees. I told her what we'd do, and how we'd do it. Then I calmly helped her lower her pants and lifted her to sit on the nice log fence. I said, "Now..hold it Millie for just a minute, don't go yet." I felt a very warm sensation all down my legs (loving, devoted mothers bring their children close to them (attachment theory) --I had done just that) "Hey, Mills, that was a dirty trick." I started laughing and put her quickly on the fence. She placidly sat. "Do you have to go anymore?" Smiling she said sweetly, "I guess not." I helped her down from the dry fence. She held on to my shoulders as I pulled up her wet undies. "That was really funny, huh Momma?" she said as she took my hand. We walked back toward the car. Scott and Mieka thoroughly enjoyed the visible results of our granola-girl efforts.

I have a suspicion about Miek's reason behind my company on these outings...she has always loved a good laugh.


Until next time...

4 comments:

Anita Wells said...

What great photos! :-)
Love the cousins, memories, and friendships. I'm getting more spontaneous all the time--maybe I'll become a real Wells someday!
Anita

Carin said...

What I wouldn't give for a nice, brisk walk anywhere right about now. Sounds delightful and entertaining. Love the red hair, Miek, love the narrative, especially love you guys!
Carin

Gayle said...

Dad here, probably the person responsible for the genetic loading of lack-of-planning aka spontaneity. I started laughing when I read the first sentence, and it didn't stop, just got louder. You know how raucous my belly laughs are. Thanks for wonderful sharing of memories. Love, Dad

jed said...

next time you all go in for a spur-of-the moment gathering, how's about trying a place closer to me?

thanks a lot.