Monday, June 22, 2009

Daring Discoveries

Several weeks ago Sam descended the stairs in a new costume: a new white undershirt with the words "Scientist Sam" scrawled across the center.

"Mom, Abbie said you'd be really mad when you saw this," Sam stated.
I thought for a minute. Seemed to me like this was in the same genre of the "crying over spilt milk."

"Is that permanent marker?" I asked.
"Yep" he said proudly.
"Well, we'd better find the camera."

Sam explained that I hadn't provided a white lab coat with the dress-ups, so he had no choice but to create his own scientist garb.

He has been busy discovering and collecting rocks lately. Today he created one of his own. Now I always knew this boy would do something great...but today-- he discovered something very much like a rock or fossil, but with scorch marks on it's bottom as though it had been zapped by lightning.

He was thoughtful enough to offer me one in bed. "Mom" he whispered, "I made you some breakfast. This one got a little burnt in the microwave, but this one isn't as burned. Which one would you like?"

" Oh," I said sleepily. "That is so thoughtful of you, Sam. You can have the good one. Thank you so much." I took the roll and became aware of the odor coming from it. And it's texture!

The windows and doors are wide open this morning--Sam's discovery of the Petrified Roll will be with us for most of the day I'd wager. As I attempted to clean the scorch marks from the microwave and counter top, I asked, "So Sam, how long did you warm these rolls?"
"Just 4 mins. and 30 secs. for yours, and 4 mins. for mine" he smiled and gnawed away.

Zach raced down the stairs and said, "Mom, are you going to take me looking like that, or are you going to change?"(ever so tactful)

We opened the door of the Yukon ---Oh my word --what was that smell?
"Zach" I said, "Something is really wrong in here."

He looked in the back and under the seat. "I found it," he said as he lifted a very odd shaped package resembling a balloon of some sort, but with the words "Ground Turkey" across it's front. "When did I go grocery shopping?" I wondered -- it has to have been at least 5 days now.

The windows were wide open in the Yukon as we drove to Zach's organ lesson at the stake center, our conversation sounding as though we both had terrible colds.

"Man this is bad!" I said. "Yea, but don't listen to me...I don't have any talk in this matter," he replied.

3 comments:

Susie Faye said...

stef, i chuckled during this one, i mean, REALLY chuckled. then when i read the last sentence by zach, i read it once, then, twice, then three times...then i laughed a lot! i kept laughing. it reminded me of the comment he said when i was over there on sunday. oh i love it. he rocks. so do his little non-sayings.

Jayne said...

Oh my gosh. I am laughing just thinking of you two with heads out of the windows to avoid that smell and then Zach's comment---classic. I love you guys.

morinsqueen said...

Okay...this was so much fun to read, but I was hoping for a picture of Sam's lab coat at least and no matter how many times I read Zach's final comment, I don't get it. :-)