Saturday, June 6, 2009

Primal Yells

Nothing frustrates teenage boys more than yard responsibilities with faulty tools. Knowing that, we recently purchased a new (used) Craftsman mower for our oldest son to help transition him into manhood. It's not shiny, but it pushes itself --Wow.

We've had a good few weeks with it, and Zach is working toward a symbiotic relationship such as my teenage brothers had with Wells mowers.

Today, however, I have heard several loud and exasperated, "Oh --Come--On!" and some "ArghhhS" too from the front yard this morning. They are soul-felt. Zach, smelling of gasoline, appeared in my kitchen, his clean white undershirt, now grease-stained (a sign of a real man (see how this transition thing is working?)).

"Mom, it won't even move! I can't even push it because it's a self-esteemed motor."

I turned before he saw my smile...he doesn't think my laughing at his etymology is funny anymore.



As Martha Isgett would say, "Life's a bear."

2 comments:

jayne wells said...

I'm so glad you let me read this instead of telling me.

jed said...

that kids full of the good ones.

when i was his age, kevin brimhall was saying things like that. here are two of my favorites:

"knowledge is half the victory"
"we'll burn that bridge when we get to it"