Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catch a Phrase

I am curious about the phrases we all pass around.
I mean, think about it.

I'm in way over my head. I don't know if I can hack it. I'm trying to keep my head above water. My work's really cut out for me. Can't see the forest for the trees. That's the full meal deal. That doesn't float my boat. He was wolfing it down. I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. Am I in the ballpark? Knock it off. Count me in. Sock it to 'em. She eats like a bird. He eats like a horse. She's thin as a rail. Or some of my Dad's favorites: That's the pot calling the kettle black and The latch is always open and the dipper's by the well.

They're kind of funny phrases right? The funnier thing is recognizing how frequently ones like, It's swallowing me whole and It's eating me for lunch or It's gonna chew me up and spit me out trip across my mind. It usually happens when I tally up the list of things that need doing around here. "This little bit of country" is a lot of work. It takes daily determination just to face the music and get the ball rolling. Sometimes when I feel like throwing in the towel, I just have to remember why I decided to take this on.

Poor SkyMax sometimes feels "over done."
And someday--when I look back on all of this I hope to know without a shadow of a doubt and with all my heart that it was well worth going the whole nine yards.

After all, we only live once.

Some of my badges of courage.