Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Make New Friends..."

"But keep the old, one is silver and the other gold." Do you know that old camp song?

This Christmas my spouse wanted to get me something extra special. He purchased brand new scriptures --with all the bells and whistles--tabs, quadruple combination--everything.


And after being married nearly 15 years, the engraved name on its cover reads, Hall.

They're very lovely scriptures, but they don't fall open to well-worn pages. They don't have post-it notes from my newly-wed husband saying, "Whenever you read this, know that you are in my mind and on my heart --5/94). They don't have things like, "Munich Sept. 19, '92" written in the margins. In fact, my non-color-coded highlighting is nowhere on those gold-tipped papers. The set I received for my 16th birthday were very clean once too, but over the years they have become more and more cluttered with a semblance of proof that I have desired inspiration, and on occasion, received a personal witness. And when Pres. Hinckley challenged me to read the Book of Mormon before Christmas one fall, that book became my close friend.

My Husband has a wonderful new method for scripture marking. He is excited for me to try it.
But my reluctance to make new friends seems to be holding me back. Dr. Wells has said that I have always been a little "slow to warm up." Perhaps.

Perhaps these lovely pages will someday display even more devotion -- maybe even wisdom. Maybe.

3 comments:

wingling said...

Stef,
You are the best! I beleive you are right and that eventually you will make friends with the new... but you CAN keep the old. But eventually your new ones will have even more little notes from ones who know and care.

J Wells said...

i think this is a big struggle for many of us.

i can't see myself ever getting new scriptures (mine have elder stamped on the cover) for this same reason. i've had a few nightmares about losing them. can you imagine?

morinsqueen said...

This seems to be a common issue among the valiant scripture studiers of the world. :-)