Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Bishop's Wife


Remember Loretta Young? She was demure, graceful...as awe-inspiring as Cary Grant was suave and debonair

Not every bishop's wife is like that. We have a 9am church schedule. That means that the routine I had worked out for 4 children to arrive on time for our 11am schedule is not working for the 5 children by 9am. I have tried a variety of tactics. Not many have met with success. However, we've only been at this since September. I have full faith that we'll meet up with that success at some point.

Our good bishop is, surprisingly, not as full of that same faith. He taken to calling me to repentance. He has bribed the children and me. He has begun making a Sat. night "we can be on time tomorrow" pep talk (Who is WE? I ask). This morning he set his alarm for 5am, got up and readied himself for his early meetings. Then at 6am, his alarm went off again. I heard it, saw that the bathroom light was on, and waited for him to take care of it. He was slow in coming. He appeared when I had stretched myself across the bed to shut that annoyance off. Just as I did -- mine began buzzing. "Oh, Stef! What a good girl! I appreciate that you'd plan ahead to get yourself completely ready for church before the children are up" he said. I laughed -- I had not set my alarm at all. What a sneaky bishop the Lindon 5th Ward has.

Want to know something crazy? As I slid out of bed onto my knees and turned on the little fireplace, I was reminded of another bishop's wife that used to pray right where I was praying. And I realized that there were a host of other women around the world that were doing the best they could, to do what they could, to make yet another Sabbath Day Holy for their families -- without help from their spouse.

I had an entire 45 minutes to myself, listening to beautiful music, and getting ready before the children emerged and the chaos took over (it has been a long time since I have had that kind of quiet).

I might even call it "awe-inspiring."

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

I am PROUD of you! It is so hard to get up earlier than them especially when you have a baby and others (at least in my case) that seem to get you up at least a couple of times during the night. Then, if you have to do the getting ready for 6(+ a bag) all alone, you deserve a BIG nap! It really is wonderful when we do it though...I know. I'm always trying to remind myself to be stronger than my sleepy self!

Stefanie said...

What is it about that church bag that takes so much energy? It has always been a problem for me.

And my sleepy self is a lurker. It seems ready to take possession of my body almost any time I sit down these days.

J Wells said...

alls i know is, francis monson never complained.

Greg Wells said...

Not to take away from the really good message of your post here, but... this is the 2nd post out of three that hints at adultery... at least when I watchd the Bishops Wife, I was a little uncomfortable about the relationship between the angel and the wife. Same when it was Whitney Houston and Denzel Washington. Anybody else think that was a bizzare story line? So between Obama and Cary and Denzel, I'd say Starl had better make sure your waking moments are full of good stuff from him. That lurking sleepy self may have bigger issues than tardiness.