Monday, October 27, 2008

Wit and Whim

The phone rings. Caller ID says: Timpanogos Academy (de ja vu to you? Me too)

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mama."(I can hear the smile in her voice)

"Well Hello, Abigaylee."

"I hope you're not going to blog about this one too." (And so I must -- that rebel in me resurfaces)

"Oh Yeah?" I respond laughing. She's got me and I know it.

"Yeah. There was a paper that I was supposed to have you sign. Since you didn't...

"Did you show it to me?"

"No." She laughs. "But since you didn't, it's a requirement that I call you. I can just leave it out in my cubby for you."

"What happens if you just bring it in tomorrow?"

"I won't get class money."

--Thoughful pause on my end. Should I rescue her? Maybe I ought to make a mad dash for my Love, Limits, and Latitudes book by Dr. Gawain Wells.

"Mom?"

"Humm?"

(The voice smile has returned) "You should probably re-evaluate you list of to-dos and get to work."

 



That gets me laughing. I'm sure Dr. Wells would agree that a child with wit needs extra points.

--Got to run to the school. There's silly paper for me to sign in someone's cubby.

4 comments:

wingling said...

my vote is NO CLASS MONEY! = lesson learned = no forgetee next timee! = mama has sanity!

Anita Wells said...

i'm with star--better to miss a lunch/paper in elementary and be a more responsible high school student later. love and logic...

Greg Wells said...

No way. If that little girl can whip out a perfect line like that, she deserves to have you wrapped around her finger. Those are some serious skills. My vote is with the wit. Way better lesson learned. That'll keep serving her way beyond High School.

J Wells said...

are you kidding, that's all i learned in high school-- how to get out of responsibility with charm. just think how far ahead she is if she can pull that off now.

besides, she should take advantage of your good graces while you're still getting along. there was a time (as a junior, i think) when i couldn't have purchased my parents' sympathy with cold hard cash.