Thursday, October 23, 2008

Go Ahead, Make My Day.

I got a phone call around 8am this morning. Before I picked up the receiver I looked at the time. School should just be starting -- I'll bet the caller-ID will read: Timpanogos Academy. It was true.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mama, it's me. You know my history assignment from last night?"

"Uh-huh."

"I forgot to put it in my back pack, and I was wondering if you could bring it over before 10am. History starts at 10 you know."

"Okay. I will try."

"Thanks alot Mom. I was just wondering if you could. I love you Mama."

"Love you too."

So I re-evaluated my list of to-dos, and got to work.

When I arrived at the school, and tried to maneuver my way through the doors with the car seat and Millie(who has an amazing knack for walking RIGHT in front of me, and slowing down while in my blind spot) the substitute at the front desk said, "Are you Stefanie?"

"Yes."

"Abbie wrote me a post-it note telling me what you would look like and which class she'd be in. I didn't know you had a new baby."

Later, when I was buckling that mammoth car seat in again, she came out and asked if I needed any help.

"Hey, you look so cute."

"Oh,(with great surprise)thank you!"

For the next couple of hours I tucked in my tummy and felt like I was really lucky to have my life. That one compliment had improved my whole day.

I wonder what would happen if we all offered praise more often. We never know where the other person is coming from. It might just "make their day."

Go ahead.

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

I loved it Stef. And you are always cute.

Good your kids forget their assignments so you get the opportunity to get out and show off your cuteness. :)

J Wells said...

after reading your post, i went around and told all the ladies in the office that they look smoking hot and i told one of them than she had a great body. now i have a meeting with HR to discuss "a pressing matter." not sure what that means. maybe they want to thank me for boosting office morale!

anyway, thanks for the challenge!

Greg Wells said...

oh my gosh. Jed. hahahahaha. What's really scary about that comment is you don't have any females in the office.

Steffy. You're so great. Your's are the kinds of posts I need to be reading.

jayne wells said...

Jed,
Did you still have the goopy tape from the sleeping probes in your hair? I bet that won you a lot of points.