Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some Tough Questions

There are times that a parent is presented with some unexpected queries from their offspring.

For instance, when Abbie asked at age 4, "Mom, who teached Satan to be be mean?"

Try this one, "So when did Cinderella's Fairy Godmother come back and give her another glass slipper? 'Cause she had two of them for the wedding." "You're a good thinker." I return.

Or maybe "What good are those things anyway-- you know, after ladies are done feeding those babies?" "Well, we are mammals you know..." I begin.

Most recently, after showing my childhood photos to my daughter, "Wow, when did you get big like that... was it in 4th grade or 5th?" I just smile (stiffly)

Here's one for you from me: How would you respond?
My suggestion: So carefully.



As is illustrated in this encounter:
While I'm busy changing a diaper, "So, Mom, why
do boys and girls have different body parts? (After a careful pause on my part) she says, "Is it just because girls have to produce?" "Oh Yes" I reply quickly. "Huh." She says as she walks away.

Ask me anything. I can take it. (Warning: I reserve the right to defer to my bother-in-law Eric eventually)

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

Ha ha ha! Oh Stef, you are the best at round-aboutly avoiding those toughies aren't you! Let's just have Eric teach a birds and bees class in 5 year shifts to the 12 year olds so we can all just defer to him!

Stefanie said...

Ha ha ha Thats great mom i JUST wish I wasnt your only inquisitive child-it would feel much better that way

-Abbie

J Wells said...

we haven't gotten many of the "why" questions yet regarding special body parts. we figure we'll have to answer one day, however, since we ask parley no less than 740 times a day to let go of his.

Greg Wells said...

Love this. This made the dinner table conversation.

Actually a number of your posts did.