Thursday, November 6, 2008

A New Deal

Posted by Picasa


Millie informed today that she no longer wanted to live here, at our house. She was ready to move to a friend's house. Maybe it was time to move in with Lyddie. After all, she was through making her bed and picking up her toys when she was done playing with them. At Lyddie's, she wouldn't have to do those things.

"Hmmm" I responded. "Do you think you might miss your bed and your things, and maybe your Mom after a while?" She smiled broadly, "No -- you would just move there with me." I said, "Oh, I see. Where would I sleep?" "Oh just in Aunt 'Nita's bed with her." I asked, "What about the baby -- do you think he might miss us when we're gone?" She paused, only for a minute,"Um, well, he would just sleep in Aunt 'Nita's bed too. Then me and Lyddie could play all the time and do dress-ups, and littlest pet-shops, and I could always have a friend to be with. And then I wouldn't have to clean up any more."

It sounds plausible. After all, I get kind of tired of chores too. And if I remember right, the Sandy Wellses have a king sized bed.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

jayne wells said...

Wait--you don't have to clean at the Sandy Wellses? Can I move in too?

Stefanie said...

Sure, bring Jules and we'll have a really happy life together. I've heard Anita likes to have company while she works.

Anita Wells said...

or maybe lyddie could move in with you--same deal at the halls'!

Greg Wells said...

Nice to grow up with cousin buddies. We are mostly conceptual buddies with our cousins out here. We try to plant memories of deep bonding in our kids using pictures and talking up how much fun they had together when they saw eachother the other year. Not exactly fiction. More like legend. This way they feel like they have relationships with the cousins. So far, it seems to work for them. But wouldn't it be nice if they could build these relationships for real?

Ah me. Always dreaming.

morinsqueen said...

Don't you wish you could think like a child sometimes? Everything is so simple when you are young.

Stefanie said...

Greg --

Legends and tall tales are how all good memories get filed away for me. Remember Grandma's back porch pantry? What about the "secret pools of living youth" and Veyo? Even such outings as our early morning swim trips with Dad to BYU are a bit legend-like in our memories.

Keep showing your children the photos. Talk us up. They'll be good friends. That's the magic of family.

Stefanie said...

Linda,

That's probably why we're encouraged to "become as a little child." The simplicity makes "following" so much easier.